Aug 5, 2008

Love and Marriage





I have been thinking a lot lately about marriage. My boyfriend and I have talked about getting married, recently I have thought to myself, what exactly is marriage?

mar·riage
1.the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.
2.the state, condition, or relationship of being married; wedlock: a happy marriage.
3.the legal or religious ceremony that formalizes the decision of a man and woman to live as husband and wife, including the accompanying social festivities: to officiate at a marriage.
4.a relationship in which two people have pledged themselves to each other in the manner of a husband and wife, without legal sanction: trial marriage; homosexual marriage.
5.any close or intimate association or union: the marriage of words and music in a hit song.
6.a formal agreement between two companies or enterprises to combine operations, resources, etc., for mutual benefit; merger.
7.a blending or matching of different elements or components: The new lipstick is a beautiful marriage of fragrance and texture.
8.Cards. a meld of the king and queen of a suit, as in pinochle.
9.a piece of antique furniture assembled from components of two or more authentic pieces.
10.Obsolete. the formal declaration or contract by which act a man and a woman join in wedlock.

People get married because they are in love right? But... the definition of marriage doesn't even have the word LOVE in it...
So I met this guy right, and shortly after we started seeing each other, I knew I wanted to marry him. Him being previously married, is in no rush, which I COMPLETELY understand. However, for me, its not about being married. I no longer have a desire to get married.

For me its the wedding and the symbolism of it. I want to be surrounded by close friends and family and just celebrate us, our love, and life together. I want to be given away by my father and put in the care of my man. I want to stand in front of everyone I care about and show them that I have met the man of my dreams, and the man I want to spend forever with. Signing a marriage certificate isn't important to me, people I love being happy for me, is. I don't care about wedding gifts, I want everyone to come and have a great time. So I'm not wanting to get married, or have a wedding. I want a reception lol with a small speech, and people having fun and being happy for US.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I really feel you there! My guy and I have been thinking a lot lately of just running off together and getting married, then coming back to town for the reception. A lot of times I think yeah, I'd really like a fancy wedding and a pretty dress and brides maids and groomsmen and tuxes and heals.....but then I think why go thru all that hassle!!! lol.
We've been talking a lot of hitching on a cruise hehehe. Might be nice :D